Fundamentals of Innovation & Entrepreneurship Business Plan

 Fundamentals of Innovation & Entrepreneurship (GEN302)


Fundamentals of Innovation & Entrepreneurship (GEN302)


 

Vision and opportunity

 

 

Upon graduating from university, my focus is to take on a course in cloth design, launch my own cloth store, and kickstart a career in cloth design working on my ideas for women wear and designing new sustainable clothing products for customers.

My purpose in life is to empower myself and the women of by attaining financial freedom. My key values are determination, responsibility and hard work.

My vision in life is to become a successful and independent entrepreneur in the cloth industry. My mission is to create multiple cloth clothing lines that benefit customers through unique and sustainable clothing products that benefit the customer.

The three guiding question that will guide my choices in my life are:

1.      Is this decision serving my end goal?

2.      Is this step that I take serving a purpose to the customer or people around me?

3.      Does this step relate with my values and how I want to be remembered by?

In the United Arab Emirates, the cloth retail industry is dominated by international brands that focus on western clothing and have limited expertise in traditional clothing. Thus, in this market there is a huge opportunity for small businesses to launch Arabic clothing lines that have a modern touch and are clothable for the local customers. Due to this, I aim to work towards a career in creating my own cloth brand that focuses on Arabic clothing such as cloth abayas for women and thawbs for men with a hint of luxury and use of sustainable materials.

Market and Implementation Strategy

As an entrepreneur working on clothing products, my aim will be to work for the society. I will benefit those who are looking for local businesses that create clothable Arabic clothing that is related to their dressing needs, employs and empowers local women. I aim to launch a local brand and hire local cloth designers to create a cloth line of clothes using my creative ideas dedication and willingness to contribute to society. Unlike other western brands that focus on western clothing, I aim to bring more culturally appropriate and clothable Arabic clothing to the marketplace.

The other fellow students aim to work in different jobs and serve multinational clothing companies that create value around western clothing. I however, using my determination aim to take risks and start a brand based on a unique idea and products for the cloth business in the UAE. Unlike other entrepreneurs, I aim to not only make a sustainable business but also hire more women and empower them to give the benefit to society.

Risks and Mitigation

            Key milestones in my plan include: (1) Getting a degree in cloth design from a reputed university, (2) Launching an Arabic cloth clothing brand and (3) Reaching over 1 million customers.

            The first milestone can be measured through checking my coursework and grades to see I am studying and progressing well in my cloth design degree. The second would be setting up a brand, getting the business license and raising funds for the business and measuring each step through reflection of progress. For the last one I will measure through how many customers we reached in our sales and adjust my business plan to achieve this target.

External factors that can adversely affect my plan is the reemergence of lockdowns due to COVID. It can lead to less people going out to purchase clothes and thus reduce sales. Also, the rising cost of living, inflation, or market turmoil are factors that can affect spending by people and thus fail my business. Lastly, market competitors, especially those existing can increase spending on advertising or reduce prices to make their product more attractive and I lose business.

 To mitigate these problems, I will introduce an online shopping platform, using Instagram and social media tools to create a virtual shopping experience. This will increase sales and reduce costs for my business. Secondly, I will try to make my products cheaper by finding other suppliers with competitive rates without compromising on quality to ensure that people are able to afford my business’s products. Lastly for the market competitors, I will create a unique branding for my company to market itself as a unique product in order to attract customers and make them focus on my local business, enhanced customer relationship and quality offering in comparison to the existing multinational competing companies.

Entrepreneurial Ethics, Personal "Board of Directors"

            In my everyday actions, I plan on following good ethical principles of conducting myself with honesty, integrity and fairness. I aim to practice following of good ethical conduct in my personal and professional life. I shall ensure that no customer is harmed by my products. I shall also ensure that I hire women with equal opportunity without any favoritism. I will reflect on my actions to make sure I abide with good ethical conduct in my daily activities.

            In order to mentor myself through my journey as an aspiring cloth designer and entrepreneur, I would first and foremost like to take the help of my father who has been an inspiration to me. My father has given me expert advice and as a successful entrepreneur, inspired me to follow his footsteps. Secondly, I would nominate, Emirati entrepreneur and owner of jewelry shop. The reason for this is because similar to my plan, he introduced modern jewelry that is connected to Emirati heritage and has successfully set up multiple stores selling their products. Lastly, Ms. Grace Wales, an award wining cloth designer and owner of Wales Bonner who has worked with adidas on collaboration. Her success story of launching her own brand, sustainability and cloth with deep meanings has inspired me a lot. Given her expertise and knowledge in the world of cloth and her career path, I believe she would be a perfect fit as my mentor.

6-Word Summary

Budding entrepreneur, empowering the local community.